What is HAE?
Hereditary angioedema (HAE) is a rare genetic disorder that causes repeated episodes of swelling and pain in different parts of the body. It is thought that only 1 in 10,000 to 1 in 50,000 people in the entire world have HAE.
HAE is called hereditary because it usually runs in families. If one parent has HAE, each child will have a 50% risk of inheriting the condition. If a child does not inherit the disease, he or she will not pass it on to future generations.
HAE can cause painful and sudden swelling in any part of the body. These HAE attacks can happen without warning and last for days. The pain and swelling of an attack can be disabling, making it difficult to perform everyday tasks. Living with HAE can also be physically and emotionally challenging.
HAE attacks can occur in any part of the body, but common swelling locations include:
- Maurer M, et al. Allergy 2018;73(8):1575–96.
- Longhurst HJ, et al. Br J Hosp Med (Lond) 2006;67(12):654–7.
- Banerji A, et al. Allergy Asthma Proc 2015;36(3):213–7.
- Banerji A, et al. Women’s Health 2016;12(3):351–61.
- Farkas H, et al. Allergy 2017;72(2):300–13.
- Bygum A, et al. Front Med (Lausanne) 2017;4:212.
- Discover HAE. Discover HAE signs and symptoms. Available from: https://www.discoverhae.com/hereditary-angioedema-symptoms. Accessed February 2020.
- Longhurst H, et al. Lancet 2012;379(9814):474–81.
- HAE UK. What is hereditary angioedema (HAE)? https://www.haeuk.org/what-is-hae/ Accessed February 2020.
- Rasmussen ER, et al. Acta Derm Venereol 2016;96(3):373–6.
- Patel N, et al. Case Reports Immunol 2015;925861.
- Zuraw B. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2018;141(3):884–5.
- Suffritti C, et al. Clin Exp Allergy 2014;44(12):1503–14.
- Caballero T, et al. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 2016;26(6):383–6.
- Bernstein, JA. Am J Manag Care 2018;24(14 suppl):S292–8.
- Angioedema News. Angioedema types. Available from: https://angioedemanews.com/angioedema-types/ Accessed February 2020.
- DermNet NZ. Angioedema. Available from: https://www.dermnetnz.org/topics/angioedema/##targetText=Angioedema Accessed February 2020.
- HAE UK. Types of HAE. Available from https://www.haeuk.org/what-is-hae/types-of-hae/ Accessed February 2020.